- From tonight’s City Council meeting:
- City Staff and County Staff are meeting this week.
- The City Council wants the County to come to the March 3 council meeting to explain themselves.
- The City Council is hopping mad at the County. Member Ramiro Valderrama wants a discussion about withdrawing the Trail from the Inter Local Agreement (ILA) with the County, but this effort failed to muster a majority because it’s unknown what unintended consequences could be. This subject could be revisited if the March 3 County Come-to-Jesus meeting is unsatisfactory.
- Deputy Mayor Kathy Huckabay wants to give the County the “benefit of the doubt” over the “communications” issue. (!!!)
- Member Tom Odell, who had met with County officials about the North end troubles and came away cautiously optimistic, has “had it.”
- When the video tape of the meeting is posted on the City web site in about three or four days, the discussion at the top of the meeting (including a staff report) is worth watching. It takes about an hour. Then skip ahead to public comment for my remarks.
Now for my commentary today.
It’s not often I am gobsmacked by government, but one should never under estimate the incompetence of King County.
The County issued its design plans for that portion of the East Lake Sammamish Trail that runs from 33rd St (the 7-11) to the Issaquah City Limits, and it’s the identical design to the North end that has caused so much controversy.
Please see my post of Sunday, County to City, citizens: Drop Dead, for context.
I emailed the City Feb. 15 about the design. What I got back pretty much summed up the County’s position by this clip from the Paul Newman movie, Cool Hand Luke.